Mizuna Salad with Ume dressing

06:11


I was thrilled to find these Mizuna greens in the supermarket in KL and though it will go perfectly well with the rest of the Japanese dishes for our theme dinner.

Mizuna is an Asian vegetable distinguished by its elegant leafy look and attractive deep green colour. It is associated with the mustard family.
In fact, the very name of mizuna greens has been inspired by the Japanese word ‘mustard plant’ wherein Mizu means water and nu stand for the mustard plant.

I first had these greens in Japan, and I like it for the mild peppery flavour,  slightly spicy but less so than arugula.

While my cousin shakes his head when he sees my hand carry bag filled with these greens, my son remains unaffected by his mother behaviour. (after he found a huge head of cabbage in my luggage, nothing surprise him anymore)

I wanted the salad to be light and refreshing, so I added in tofu, some cherry tomatoes and seaweeds.
And since I just received a new bottle of ume (or umeboshi), I make a tangy dressing from these salty and sour fruits.

There was nothing left when the helper collects the salad bowl.
Ume dressing


You will need:
2 packets of Mizuna greens
6-8 cherry tomatoes
a box of tofu
Some seaweeds
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes

Ume dressing:
1 tablespoon of minced Ume
3 tablespoon of roasted sesame seed
Juice from 1 1/2 fresh orange
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Ume
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
2 tablespoon olive oil

Method:
1. Place minced Ume, sesame seed,  orange juice, sesame oil, sugar into the blender and puree until smooth.

2. Sugar and salt to taste.

Cooks' Note:
Toss the salad with the dressing when about to eat, don't mix in too early as salad may turn soggy



















You Might Also Like

0 comments

Comments system

Like us on Facebook