Pumpkin porridge

08:36




I woke up to a thundery Friday morning, feeling a little cold.
Days such as this, you just want to cuddle up in bed; that is until your stomach starts making noise.

Rainy day calls for warm food. I don't know about you, but I can't stomach cold milk and cereal or yoghurt on cold, wet days.
I need "real food", and I need it hot!

Rainy day is also "stay indoors" day for most of us or at least mine, so braving the storm to get hot breakfast is not an option for me.

Experienced cooks (and wise housewives) always have back up plans.
I turned to my frozen leftover rice in the freezer and retrieved the pumpkin rice I save from the previous dinner.
(I have done chicken porridge with the left over chicken rice too)

Apart from soup, porridge or congee is the next comfort food for this Cantonese girl.
Cantonese-style porridge or "Jook" has a smooth and silky texture.
Using frozen cooked rice can achieve similar consistency in under 30 mins which it typically
requires 1 to 2 hours cooking time.

It is workable with plain cooked rice,  just need to add in the cubed pumpkins and cook it to your preferred consistency. Alternatively, you may microwave the cubed pumpkins till soft and add the mashed to the porridge.
Why pumpkin? Because it is full of goodness and it lends some sweetness to the porridge.

What about using uncooked rice? Sure, to speed up cooking, add a tablespoon of oil to the washed rice and gently rub the grains with your hands until the oil is completely absorbed. The result is a very smooth porridge.

As I look out at the gloomy sky from the kitchen, I give thanks that I have this bowl of sunshine to warm my body and comfort the soul.


You will need:

1 cup of frozen pumpkin rice
5 cups water
seasonings: 1 teaspoon of salt or mushroom granule or chicken cube
fried garlic or onion for garnishing


Method:
  1. Place the cooked rice and water in a big pot
  2. Press with a ladle or wooden spoon to break up any rice lumps first
  3. Bring water and rice to a boil and lower heat to simmer and cook until desired consistency is achieved, add seasoning.(may need to add extra water if it become too thick)



Cooks' Note:
1. To speed up cooking, use warm/hot water instead of cold water to prepare
2. Start with high heat and turn to small fire
3. To avoid sticking to the base, porridge always need stirring
4. Adding a dash of oil to the porridge will make the porridge looking shiny and smooth.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Comments system

Like us on Facebook