Grilled Water Melon Salad

03:08






I first served this salad decades ago when we are not yet a cheese loving nation.
Cheese to this part of the world then was what durian to the westerns.
My guests weren't as adventurous and find the combination "strange".
The salad was left untouched, and I learnt a new phrase: "food cultural shock."

I served it recently at cell meets dinner, the ladies love it. Our cell leader Mel, in particular, was intrigued with the unusual yet agreeing taste and has reminded me on few occasions for the recipes.
(This is for you, Mel!)

I love adding fruits to my salad, I find the crash of the fruit colour against the green salad so appealing and hard not to like it. Not to mention the double doses of nutrients we benefit all at the same time.

As I put together the dinner plan for my "Tomodachi" (Japanese friends), I thought this would go very well with the lamb dish I have in mind.
This time around, I grilled the water melon.

Whoever thought of grilled watermelon?!
Well, it is raw and crunchy on the inside, smoky and caramelised on the outside and when to top it with salty feta, Kalamata olive and nutty arugula, it presents such an eye feasting portrait.

One would experience a burst of flavour in the mouth and an unforgetful taste that can only be achieved with such combination.

I am pleased to say this is one likeable stranger.



You will need:

1/4 of watermelon, cut into 1-inch thick
feta cheese, crumble into large chunks
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
sea salt flakes and black pepper (optional)
A handful of arugula salad
A small number of Kalamata olive (pitted)



Method:

1. Heat a grill or grill pan over high heat until very hot.

2. Grill watermelon wedges turning once, until charred (about 2-3 minutes per side)


3. Arrange watermelon on a serving platter, top with feta cheese, olive and rocket leaf. Drizzle with olive oil and balsamic vinegar.


Cooks' Note:
You may substitute arugula with fresh leaves.


You Might Also Like

0 comments

Comments system

Like us on Facebook