Stir-Fried Kang Kong with fermented brown beans

01:54


We all love our Kang Kong stir-fried with sambal, a favourite stir-fry.
The Cantonese version, with "Fu Yu" (fermented bean curd) is ideal for those who cannot take spicy.
I remembered having it frequently when we were young.

We were introduced to stir-fried Kang Kong with fermented brown beans in Thailand.
It is a  refreshing change from the usual stir fry with sambal for me, and this dish has become one of the favourite stir fries in the family.

It is easy too, just need garlic, some sliced red chillies and good quality brown beans.
To neutralise the saltishness in the beans, I add small cubes of crushed rock sugar during the cooking process.

As with any stir-fry vegetables, the cooking time (tossing time) should be short. You want a lovely dish of crunchy greens not overcooked limp vegetables.

Add a splash of water if you must.
I did not add any water to it as I preferred the gravy/sauce to lightly cling on to my stir-fried vegetables.

By the way, Kang Kong is also known as - "Water Morning Glory".

Happy Feasting!

You will need:
200gm of Kang Kong, peel/cut
1 tablespoon of brown beans
2 cloves of garlic
sliced red chilli (option)
2-3 small cubes of rock sugar/1 tablespoon of sugar to taste


Methods:
1. Drained the washed vegetables
2. Heat up a wok and add 2 tablespoons of oil
3. When wok is hot, add the chopped/crushed garlic.
4. When garlic is slightly brown, add in the brown beans paste and sugar, stir-fry until fragrant (about 15 seconds)
5. Add in the Kang Kong and mixed well. (You may add water at this point, but I usually leave it out as I prefer my vegetables not to wet)
6. Turn off the heat, dish up and served immediately




You Might Also Like

2 comments

Comments system

Like us on Facebook