Banana Cake

23:38




Over the "Bat Tuk Teh" lunch, my friends from Belgium asked if I can make brownies. I watched their jaws dropped when I told them I don't bake.

And I explained to these stunned faces that baking requires precise measurement of ingredients and that I am not known to follow instructions and have the problem sticking to a recipe.
Defiant as a child and now being much older - stubborn.
Well, at least I have been consistent. (LOL)

To me, baking is science while cooking is an art and as such, I have always preferred cooking to baking. (I honestly cannot measure a level spoonful)

Having said that, when I am in an obedient mood, I can turn out very decent cakes.
These moments are far and few though.

I am talking about banana cake.

I don't throw out over-ripe bananas. I freeze them for a bananas milk shake. As much as I love my bananas milkshake (my son thinks I am weird), one can have too much of a good thing.
Muffins did come to mind but I am not a "muffin" person and scooping the batter into each individual cup is too much work for me (excuses). I need a simplified version.

I decided on the bananas cake after I come across a nicely wrapped overpriced bananas cake at a gourmet supermarket. The "auntie- ness" in me scream I can do the same at a fraction of the price!

Earlier this year, I agreed to bake this bananas cake for 160 people simply because it requires just mixing.
Yes, you heard me, no need mixer; just one mixing bowl to wash. Easy cleanup!

My nephew ate it with scoops of ice cream, laced with chocolate sauce while my "Ang Moh" friends
toast the balance slices the next day for crunch.

It is ok to go bananas when the cake is this good and easy.


You will need:

3 very ripe bananas, mashed
2 large eggs, at room temperature
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)


Methods:
1. Preheat oven to 175℃ and grease a 4 x 8-inch loaf pan

2. In the mixing bowl, stir in the vegetable oil into the mashed bananas.

3. Mix in the baking soda and salt. Stir in the sugar, beaten egg, sour cream and vanilla extract. Mix in the flour.

4. Pour the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for 50 minutes to 1 hour or until a tester inserted into the centre comes out clean.

5. Remove from oven and let cool completely. Remove the banana bread from the pan. Slice and serve.


Cook's note:
Over ripe bananas are best for this recipe.
You may substitute vegetable oil with melted butter
Sour cream is crucial for a moist cake
You may substitute sour cream with Greek yoghurt













You Might Also Like

0 comments

Comments system

Like us on Facebook